Belfast Zoo is one of Northern Ireland’s best tourist attractions. It provides a great family day out and currently attracts over 295,000 visitors per year.The zoo is situated on the Antrim Road, north of Belfast and overlooks Belfast Lough. The zoo’s 55 acre site is carved into the hillside on Cave Hill and is a comfortable home to more than 1200 animals and 140 different species. Most of the animals are critically endangered in the wild.The zoological gardens of Belfast are home to everything from Prairie Dogs and Bongos to Penquins and Zebras. Other animals that you can see include a White Tiger, Barbary Lions, Elephants, Giraffes and many different bird species housed in a free-flight aviary.
Facilities At This Top Northern Ireland Attraction
The visitor facilities include:
- Ark Cafe
- Mountain Tea House
- Refreshment Kiosk
- Disabled access and Mobility scooters
- Free car parking
- Clothing and Glass Recycling
- First Aid Treatment Room
- Zoovenir shop
Mobility scooters must be pre-booked in advance – call 028 9077 6277 for details.
It will take you about 90mins – 2hrs to get round the attractions and see all the animals.
- The great variety of animals to see and their spacious accommodation
- Animals that prefer privacy have smaller enclosures to make them feel more comfortable
- A rare opportunity to see a varied collection of Bears in Northern Ireland
- The route around the zoo for visitors is well signposted and makes getting around the whole complex easier
- The zoo is built on the cavehill, so whilst the paths are good quality, there are some steep hills to negotiate
- At some times of the year, especially Winter, some of the animals may prefer to stay inside their enclosures. You may not see all the animals during your visit
- The Souvenir shop is quite small and in busy periods can become quite cramped and hard to move around.
Belfast Zoological Gardens, Antrim Road, Belfast, BT36 7PNThe zoo is located in the Northern Quarter of Belfast, located 4 miles from the City Centre.If you don’t have access to a car, the easiest way to get to the zoo is by bus. Buses leave the City Hall, Belfast City Centre, regularly and travel along the Antrim Road.Use Metro Service: 1 and there is a stop right outside the zoo. It is signposted Metro Stop: Bellevue.
For car hire information, checkout, Getting Around.
If you would like an accurate map reference location for Belfast Zoo, type the postcode, BT36 7PN into Google Maps or alternatively, if you would like driving directions to from anywhere in Northern Ireland, use Route Planner and type in the postcode BT36 7PN.
|View Larger Map|
|Map showing location of the zoo in Belfast, Northern Ireland|
Return from Belfast Zoo to Northern Ireland Attractions
Return from Belfast Zoo to Northern Ireland Travel
Copyright © 2008 Northern Ireland Travel